Addressing Geriatric Challenges & Supporting Families A Dementia Certification Training
When a person is living with dementia, everyone they love is impacted by the diagnosis, too.
Oftentimes, family members are tasked with the day-to-day care, and they’re constantly worried about their loved one getting worse.
Whether it’s Alzheimer’s disease or other dementias, dealing with cognitively declining patients is challenging for even the most skilled nurses—much less a patient’s child, sibling, or spouse with no medical training.
With our expert insights and decades of experience, you will better understand the challenges your aging patients face…
… and learn ways to support their caregivers and families every step of the way.
This Dementia Care Specialist training gives you proven methods and strategies to achieve the best outcomes for your geriatric patients.
Best of all, you’ll become an Evergreen Certified Dementia Care Specialist (ECDCS)…
… and the experienced nurse your patients, and their families, deserve on their side!
— with Edward G. Shaw, MD, MA
- The Stages of Dementia
- Meet Your Brain
- Cognitive Function and Assessments for Dementia
- Attachment Theory Reimagined in the Setting of Older Adults
- Dementia as the Ultimate Attachment Loss
- Care Partners and Individuals with Dementia
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction
- The HPA Axis – Stress’s Brain-Body Connection
- How to Practice Mindfulness
- Love Reimagined in the Context of Dementia: The 5 Love Languages
- The Importance of Communication & Self-Care
- Case Studies & Resources
— with Steven Atkinson, PA-C, MS
- Alzheimer’s Disease and Other Dementias
- Brain Lobes & Cognitive Function
- ABCs of Behavior
- Validation Techniques for Communication
- Strategies for Challenging Behaviors of Dementia
- 10 Steps to Combat Caregiver Burden
- Support Groups
- Resources & Case Studies
Edward G. Shaw, MD, MA, is dually trained as a physician and mental health counselor. He founded the Memory Counseling Program in 2011, serving individuals, couples, and families affected by Alzheimer’s disease or another type of dementia.
Steven Atkinson, PA-C, MS, is a Board-Certified Physician Assistant specializing in Geriatric Internal Medicine. He is the co-founder of Twin Cities Physicians, which serves older adults in nearly all levels of their care.